Monday, January 23, 2006

Weigh-in: Ouch-o-rama

I decided that it was time for me to pay tribute to the ol' scale this morning. The needle landed at 217.5. The truth hurts, brothers and sisters.

I'm trying not to dwell on it - but I can't help it. I was at 211 in early November. I was supposed to be under 200 right now, into the final stretch....but instead, I've regressed. I've been on vacation for a month, where I paid no heed to my diet. I've spent the last two weeks "recovering" from vacation, with my butt glued to the couch. Honestly, what did I expect?

So, here I am. It's amazing how quickly your body can become addicted to sugar again. It took me months to ween myself off the stuff. Now, I'm slapping my arm, looking for a vein. The next few days of withdrawal are going to be awful.

So, goodbye to chocolate. Buh-bye to potatoes. Sayonara to cookies (even though I deluded myself into believing they were good for me because they're oatmeal - ha!). Welcome to healthy and balanced food again. It's like long-lost relatives coming to visit - except this time, they're here to stay.

The other thing that I'm contemplating is personal training. I've had personal training before. The first time, was a few months before my wedding. My guy was great, but a tad inexperienced. Nonetheless, he helped ensure that I fit into my dress on the big day. Post-wedding, all of the weight packed back on again (yep, all 65 lbs).

My second trainer was fabulous. He was energetic, motivating, and good-spirited. The problem is, my heart wasn't *really* into losing weight - even though I was good at paying lip service to the whole idea. Plus, my trainer was a bit irresponsible (didn't show up for sessions, etc.).

So here I am again. I'm contemplating a 5-week stint with a trainer - 2x a week with strength training. I would do cardio on my own for the balance of the week. I'd like to lose 10lbs by the end. It's an expensive endeavour, so I'm still pondering.

That, and chocolate is still on my mind. It's like a bad relationship that I want to keep going back to. Breaking up is hard to do.

No comments: