Saturday, June 24, 2006

So I did the obligatory post-vacation weigh-in a couple of days ago, and was at 213.5. I wasn't really surprised, and I didn't crumble into pieces. But I did sigh (a very DEEP sigh), put the scale away, and decided to channel my energy into positive activities.

So. Exercise was non-existent this week - until yesterday!

I got home after a very LONG week, and felt like collapsing on the couch with Chinese Food and a good movie. But something was nagging at me....and I knew it was my body, begging for some activity.

There's a swimming pool in a recreation centre right next door to where I live. I never paid much attention to it, really. Until recently - I started thinking about what it would be like to go swimming again. So a couple of weeks ago, I popped in, and picked up a schedule. It sat on my desk at home, collecting dust for several days. Last week, I was in the drugstore, and purchased a swimcap and goggles for "whenever" I decided to try the swim thing out.

Last night, even though I was in somewhat of a tired and crabby mood, I decided to pull out the swimsuit.

So, I put the swimsuit on at home. Closed my eyes (squeezed shut!), and walked in front of the mirror. I stood there for awhile, debating on whether I really wanted to see myself in a swimsuit. I very slowly peeled my eyes open, one eye at a time.

I didn't want to scream and run away in terror. Believe me, I didn't look like Beyonce in a bikini or anything - in fact, I felt a bit like a large sausage roll squeezed into leotards. But I didn't bawl my eyes out, and throw myself on the couch with a bag of chips. I decided that today was the day that I was going swimming.

And I went. It was awesome. I haven't been in years - so it was a bit like riding a bicycle after a long time...but eventually, got the hang of it. I was there for about 35 minutes before I got tired out. And I was really proud of myself.

I weighed in this morning, and was up a pound. But I'm not freaking out - as long as I keep doing the right things, the scale will (hopefully) repay me in time.

Today, it's yoga!

6 comments:

t. said...

Great you got into a swimming pool!
I know exactly how it feels and how lazy I can be about it rather then doing any other kind of exercise. I have a swimming pool just by my house and I was doing 4 solid (but realllly slow) hours in there each week for about 3 moths last year. Then one year ago, after a one month vacation, I went back and the place was closed. I went again and realized it was then closed permanently: they did not have funds to keep it open! Great excuse not to try again (and I have been totally lazy for 3 months by then!).
In September, they had reopened and I went since my mom wanted some lessons. It was the first time in 5 months or so! And what happens then? My mother in the first 15 minutes we are in the water has a semi-hyskemic attack that caused her a serious temporary amnesia. I freaked like never before. And I NEVER went back!

Glad you did though!

t. said...

Plus... I do not really need to see myself in a swimming suit now....

Zhaan said...

Good for you going swimming. I know what you mean about going out in the swim suit. I don't think most women like wearing a swim suit in public and frankly the workout sort of suits are even less flattering, but you did it! Yay!

tylersstory said...

Aww swimming. That can be hell sometimes lol :)

My swimming pool is all set up too, started doing laps tommorow (everything happens tommorow doesn't it? lol). Hopefully by this time next year I won't mind swimming without a shirt in public. :D

KleoPatra said...

Sonya, i'm very proud of you.

I love swimming and it's a great workout. Very happy for you doing this for your body.

Take care of your body and it will take care of you... something to think about as you start getting healthier and happier!

Cowgirl Warrior said...

Awesome about the swimming! Plus doing it for 35min when you haven't swam in awhile, that's really inspirational.