Thursday, August 10, 2006

I left my heart...in San Francisco...

I'm back!

Where to begin? Firstly, I promised to post pictures, and I'll definitely do that later tonight or tomorrow. I need to get myself a little more organized first.

San Francisco was a nice little city! It was wonderful to get away from Toronto's wretched heat wave, and to hang out in the sunshine by the ocean. The highlight of the trip was renting a convertible, and driving down the pacific highway to Santa Cruz. The sun was shining, the wind was blowing in my hair, and the views of the ocean were just breathtaking. I have a huge fascination with the ocean. Something about it both calms and scares me. Isn't that strange?

We did a bunch of other touristy stuff, a bit of shopping, and mostly just tried to cope with the ridiculous time change of 3 hours. I don't understand why we found it so hard! At 8pm every night, I was comatose. Man, I am definitely not in my twenties anymore.:-)

The food was generally good - but there was one restaurant that made me want to die of happiness after I ate there. It's called Millenium. We decided to brave it, and went for a "tasting menu". It takes about 2 hours to eat. We got to try 4 appetizers, 4 mains, and dessert. I can't even recount what we had, because it was all so bloody marvelous. It was like a symphony in my mouth. It was a fancy-schmancy vegan restaurant.

My favourite was the dessert platter. There was a decadent vegan chocolate cheese-cake. Some apricot-peach sorbet atop of a mixed berry assortment. Home-made biscotti - chocolate, peanut butter, and almond. But my favourite....the thing that almost caused me to collapse in my chair was the geranium-infused fudge square. I took one bite of it, and I swear to you, angels sang around me.

There was another veggie restaurant called Greens that we went to. The food was also delicious, but the view from the restaurant was spectacular. We ate in a sun-strewn room with a view of the ocean the Golden Gate bridge.

The funny thing is, when I go on vacation, I have NO parameters around my eating. But this was the healthiest I've ever eaten on a trip. In fact, I ate LESS! Plus, we were doing so much walking, it probably offset any excess calories. It was really weird, because I usually treat holidays like "free for alls".

I gained 1/2 lb after the trip - which is mostly probably baby weight. And I'm totally cool with that.

And finally, Old Navy in SF ROCKED for maternity clothes. I found a lot of good stuff, and it was fairly affordable. The Old Navy here in Toronto PALES in comparison. The one that I shopped at in SF was like a department store - multi-story, with change-rooms for every section. I loved it!

The ultrasound experience before I left was fine. A bit weird, because they wouldn't let my husband into the room with me during my ultrasound, and he had to wait outside the whole time. But he got to come in at the end, and the technician showed us our little bean.:-) I can't believe how big he/she has gotten since our last ultrasound! We are 20 weeks now - exactly half-way there. I am sooooo excited for his/her arrival. We get the "results" of the ultrasound next Thursday, so I'm thinking lots of positive thoughts. I hope the baby is healthy and happy, that's all I want. I am trying to be positive with all my might!

I haven't done much exercise since I've returned - I've been feeling quite tired lately. But I really need to get back into a routine - it's important that I stay active. I went to yoga last night, and I plan on going for a long walk tonight. I haven't gone swimming in AGES, so I'd like to give that a go again tomorrow.

We were without groceries after our trip, until last night. Do you know how unnerving an empty fridge can be? It made me feel all panicky and freaked out everytime I went into the kitchen - like we had no food! Last night, we finally managed to replenish our fridge with lots of fruit and vegetables, and I slept well knowing that I could wake up in the morning and actually EAT breakfast at home. I have empty-fridge paranoia.

That's all for now - will post some pictures later.

9 comments:

pinknest said...

mmm! hope you have a pic of that geranium-infused fudge square! it just sounds fun. glad you had a good time.

Cowgirl Warrior said...

Welcome Home! I'm glad you had a great time and those restaurants sound amazing. Great that you found some great stuff at Old Navy.

Belladora said...

Welcome back! Glad to hear you had a great time:)

t. said...

GREAT you enjoyed!!!!
In the meanwhile, I found this for you: http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/funfood.shtml
Maybe you have reached there already. If not, I hope it provides good info!

Hugs!

Bex said...

so so so glad you had a great time!! You so deserved it :) and wooohoooo for awesome maternity clothes!!!
Can't wait to see some pics.
Missed you!
xoxox

Living to Feel Good said...

Ohh that all sounds like so much fun! I'm glad you got to buy some clothes at Old Navy. I remembered you said you didn't find any where you live after I mentioned my friend buying a lot there. I haven't been to the SF one, but it sounds a lot like the NY one.

Your whole trip sounds good, and I can't wait for the photos. Welcome back!

KleoPatra said...

Welcome back, Sonya!!

I am so happy you had a great time! I love it in SF as well but i have to say i'm an even bigger fan of where you drove... SANTA CRUZ... I hope you will post more about your trip.


And good for you eating well. I am so glad to know that food wasn't an issue and that you did good for your body, spirit and soul, Sonya.

Again, WELCOME BACK! Hope you are having a fun weekend.

Martalu said...

Yay! Glad you had fun! Can't wait for pics!

Marathon Someday said...

Pinknest - no picture of the fudge, dear, sorry! I wish I did though - because I'd look at and sigh everyday!

Cowgirl - Old Navy in the States kicks butt. Nothing like we have here in Canada.

Belladora - thanks for the welome back!

Tax - thanks for the link! I went there a long time ago, but not since i found out I was pg! Thanks for reminding me.

Becky - I'll attempt to post a belly shot in one of my new shirts! Ack.

Sarah - I will post photos later today / tomorrow...blogging from work only allows me to do so much, lol! Darn, work always gets in the way.

kleo - Santa Cruz was really cool. Will post some pictures for sure. We were only there for a few hours, but it's a beautiful little town.

Totegirl - nice to see you- hope all is well!