Monday, February 19, 2007

Couch to 5K - the first session

Done.

Man, it was harder than I thought it would be! The first 60 seconds of running was a breeze. I was like, gee - I'm in better shape than I thought! After 20 minutes though, I realized that I'm going to be in SERIOUS pain tomorrow morning.

Let me back-track for one second. I SO did not want to go to the gym tonight. I was making every excuse I could think of in my head. You see, I've fallen into the trap of not exercising. And although I have good intentions, I have been lazy when it comes to making things happen.

Anyway, I literally DRAGGED my butt downstairs to the gym (it's in my building!) tonight...it was incredibly hard. But I'm really glad that I did now. I'm tired and sore. But it won't be like that forever, I'm sure.

There's glass everywhere at the gym. I felt like I was the victim in "What not to Wear"'s 360 degree mirror. And I really didn't like what I saw. It was a very jiggly lady huffing and puffing on a treadmill. My heart sank everytime I glanced over. Is that what I REALLY look like? Wow.

Anyway, I made a big first step tonight. Now, I just need to keep putting one step in front of the other.:-)

8 comments:

Chris H said...

Now you are so lucky to have the gym in your building! No excuses like it raining, or snowing, or the car's broken down eh? lol As for the glass reflection, I can so relate to that, I have joined a new gym that has walls of mirror and I am sure I was the fattest chick there last night! NOT a pretty sight and quite depressing too, but I shall turn that around into a positive thought... I SHALL IMPROVE THAT IMAGE SOON ! Good on you for going.

Christy said...

Congrats!!!! I know how hard it is to make it to the gym, no matter how close it is.

I HATE mirrors in the gym (although watching the beefcakes lift weights and make grunts and faces in front of the mirror is always fun to watch) but I don't want to be looking at my reflection.

Although... it IS a good motivator I guess.

Anyways, way to go - I'm SO proud!!!

Christy

Joe said...

Well done, Sonya! Keep up the good work!

Tiff said...

YAY!!! You made it to the gym... I actually like seeing my refelction- ok, not sure if 'like' is the right term to use- because it reminds me of what I am doing! It sounds like it was a productive night though, so that's gotta count for something! Keep it up!!!

KleoPatra said...

You're fab, M. I'm thrilled for you! KEEP UP the GREAT WORK! I know it IS work but it's gonna be so worth it... go you!! i'm so rooting you on down here in SoCal...

jeannie* said...

You made it to the gym! And thats huge! Soon youll be LOVING that '360 degree mirror' (great comparison by the way haha). But I totally hear you on having to drag yourself to workout... I'm stuck in the same rut and dont have a newborn as an excuse!!

Keep it up :)

Cowgirl Warrior said...

Whoo hoo on tackling the couch to 5K, you're my hero!

Askazombiehousewife said...

I have a hard time getting to the gym. I have to work out at home or walk.


Maybe you can pack some lighter snacks incase you need them.
You know a bottle of water some soy cisps, instant soup packets, an apple, fat free pudding, a Low cal granola bar.