A few days ago, I got myself thinking about stuff (uh-oh). One thing that I firmly believe, is that we can all do anything we set our minds to. Anything. You just have to want it badly enough. We can convince ourselves that we want something, and talk about it until we're blue in the face - but unless we really want it, it will never happen. And that totally applies to this whole weight loss journey. I want to lose weight. It's true. But am I willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get there? Am I willing to lose blood, sweat, and tears over it?
Yes, of course. But when it boils down to it - I'm obviously not ready to make the requisite sacrifices. Because if I was, I would have done it already. I wouldn't fall of the wagon, because I'd have a strong desire that practically burns in my belly! I'd never lose sight of the goal! Rocky Theme music would play in my head as I roll out of bed every morning!
All of this to say, that in order for us to be successful at anything - be it weight loss, career goals, relationships - there's a huge investment that we need to make. And simply "wanting" something isn't enough. I want to be thin. I want to be successful. Isn't that nice? What am I willing to do, to get there? And then it clicked for me. I need to be mentally ready, in order for me to give this journey everything I've got. I can hire the best personal trainer, a kick-ass nutrionist, and even join the most sophisticated gym. But none of that will motivate me. I'm what will motivate me.
So, given the huge life changes that have happened in the last three months, I thought I'd make a list of reasons to remind myself why it's important to me:
- My beautiful baby daughter. She is my sunshine everyday. And I am going to be the fittest mommy I can be for her.
- My fabulous husband. We're going to travel the world by the time we're old and grey - and if we're going to hike those mountains together, I gotta be in the shippest-shape of my life.
- I want to run a marathon one day. More specifically, I want to run a marathon in three years. This year, a 10K. Next year, a 1/2 marathon. And the following year, a marathon.
- I want to become a clothes fiend. I feel like I've never put a lot of stock into my appearance, because shopping for clothes has always been a battle. I can't wait to walk into any store, and just BUY stuff!
- I'd like to be able to stare down at a big, fat piece of chocolate cake - long and hard - and then walk away from it, while dusting my hands off. I want this battle with food to be over.
So, there's my list of "wants". Yeah, it was easy to write out that list - I think about it all the time. But I haven't really been able to commit to those wishes, because I've been so mentally exhausted from new motherhood. I've been devoid of energy, and just wanting to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight so that my old clothes will fit again. I haven't really thought long and hard about everything, and the commitment that it's going to take from me.
With that, I'm going to go and sign up for my first 10K - August 19th. Let the training officially begin. Hmmmm....what's that I feel? I think it's the starting of a fire, burning in my belly.:-)