Thursday, March 29, 2007

"Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind rule the body?"

Thanks for all of your encouragement! It means the world. Just when I feel like I've disappointed myself, you guys give me hope!

A few days ago, I got myself thinking about stuff (uh-oh). One thing that I firmly believe, is that we can all do anything we set our minds to. Anything. You just have to want it badly enough. We can convince ourselves that we want something, and talk about it until we're blue in the face - but unless we really want it, it will never happen. And that totally applies to this whole weight loss journey. I want to lose weight. It's true. But am I willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get there? Am I willing to lose blood, sweat, and tears over it?

Pause.

Yes, of course. But when it boils down to it - I'm obviously not ready to make the requisite sacrifices. Because if I was, I would have done it already. I wouldn't fall of the wagon, because I'd have a strong desire that practically burns in my belly! I'd never lose sight of the goal! Rocky Theme music would play in my head as I roll out of bed every morning!

All of this to say, that in order for us to be successful at anything - be it weight loss, career goals, relationships - there's a huge investment that we need to make. And simply "wanting" something isn't enough. I want to be thin. I want to be successful. Isn't that nice? What am I willing to do, to get there? And then it clicked for me. I need to be mentally ready, in order for me to give this journey everything I've got. I can hire the best personal trainer, a kick-ass nutrionist, and even join the most sophisticated gym. But none of that will motivate me. I'm what will motivate me.

So, given the huge life changes that have happened in the last three months, I thought I'd make a list of reasons to remind myself why it's important to me:
  1. My beautiful baby daughter. She is my sunshine everyday. And I am going to be the fittest mommy I can be for her.
  2. My fabulous husband. We're going to travel the world by the time we're old and grey - and if we're going to hike those mountains together, I gotta be in the shippest-shape of my life.
  3. I want to run a marathon one day. More specifically, I want to run a marathon in three years. This year, a 10K. Next year, a 1/2 marathon. And the following year, a marathon.
  4. I want to become a clothes fiend. I feel like I've never put a lot of stock into my appearance, because shopping for clothes has always been a battle. I can't wait to walk into any store, and just BUY stuff!
  5. I'd like to be able to stare down at a big, fat piece of chocolate cake - long and hard - and then walk away from it, while dusting my hands off. I want this battle with food to be over.

So, there's my list of "wants". Yeah, it was easy to write out that list - I think about it all the time. But I haven't really been able to commit to those wishes, because I've been so mentally exhausted from new motherhood. I've been devoid of energy, and just wanting to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight so that my old clothes will fit again. I haven't really thought long and hard about everything, and the commitment that it's going to take from me.

With that, I'm going to go and sign up for my first 10K - August 19th. Let the training officially begin. Hmmmm....what's that I feel? I think it's the starting of a fire, burning in my belly.:-)

14 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...

Don't think of it as falling off but not being OP.
When we think if an all but nothing with no room for mistakes were more likely to feel deprived and binge.

Jen said...

Sonya,
You're a great mom to be committed to getting fit so you can enjoy life with your girl as she grows up! I can just picture you pushing her along in a jogging stroller as you train for your marathon. Those are great running goals, and I can't wait to read about your training & races! You can do this :-)

Kim said...

Yeah Sonya!! I can hear the Rocky soundtrack playing now. :) It's great to when you know what you WANT, and it's even better when you know you are ready to WORK for it, to make it a reality. Sounds like you are ready on both fronts. :)

KleoPatra said...

Good for you. Being fit is the best feeling in the world. I hope you find the day comes where weight, and food, won't be an issue...

Chris H said...

You go for it girl, your goals are totally obtainable, as you say, if you want it badly enough!

Carolyn said...

I just love reading your posts because they are so inspiring!
You are right, there are a lot of things we all want but many of them we are just not willing to put in the time for!
First we have to visualize what we want and them we have to visualize how we are going to get there.
Great job on your devotion!!!
Keep it up!

Weight Master said...

Great points. I believe we must all be content, but also set goals. Setting goal means nothing if your not willing to do what it takes to achieve them.

jeannie* said...

I just tried to type out the Rocky Music... but it didnt quite work. So lets just say that I'm now singing it out loud in honor of you signing up for your first 10k! I'm so impressed. You CAN do this and just think of your little girl waiting for you at the finish line!

Go get em!

Cowgirl Warrior said...

Whoo hoo! You go girl! You will make everyone of those goals.

Hugs!

Unknown said...

Loved this post! And boy, that walking into a store to buy clothes just like that is a biggie - especially if you're going to be travelling the world, which'll hopefully mean a visit to India, which'll hopefully mean buying some nice Indian clothes which are NOT Salwars! (how much of a novelty would THAT be!)

noelle said...

mama, you are so right. I've been up and down with the baby weight 6 times in the past decade. for me, it's not about fitting into those pre-baby clothes, but it's really about deciding I will be their healthy mama. I will take care of myself. so when I am exhausted and overwhelmed and strung out, I will take a nap, a shower, a walk, a time out with a magazine or a book or even computer solitaire, but I won't dive into a pint of ice cream.

it's all about becoming the mama you want to be....even in the way you feed yourself.

Christy said...

This post made me a little teary. I'm so happy for you, you have such an amazing attitude, I honestly think it's what got me back into the game. I love your goals, I love your thoughts and I love your list of wants.

Salma Gundi said...

Seriously impressive, 10K committing. You go!

VegasGirl said...

"Rocky Theme music would play in my head as I roll out of bed every morning!"

OMG! I am 100% going to think about that everytime I start to get that feeling of dread in my belly about having to the gym. LoL. Thanks a million =)