Sunday, May 06, 2007

It feels like...just starting over.

First of all, THANK YOU a million times over for all of your lovely and wonderful comments after my last post. I was somewhat in the depths of my diet despair, and you all saved me. Each and every one of you said something that made me smile, and for that I am so grateful.

As an update, I'm feeling a lot better now. I am going much easier on myself, and am not expecting perfection. I am patting myself on the back for the little things - like the extra glass of water, or the refraining from dessert at dinner. I'm not hating myself for stealing some french fries off my hubby's plate at dinner on Saturday night.;-) It's nice that I'm finding some peace with myself.

***

Well, here's an update for you. I broke up with my personal trainer on Friday. I really didn't want to do it, but I had no choice. Some of you will recall this incident. Well, there were a few other small occurences that were similar to that, but the straw that broke the camel's back happened on Friday. He called me up, to remind me that my next month's payment was due. Fine. He then asks me whether I can pay him for the following month's payment as well - upfront, not post-dated. He tells me he's wanting to pay a deposit on a condo, and he really needs the cash. I'm a little ticked off at this point, because it's a tad unprofessional. Secondly, I'm not an idiot - why in the world would I front him that much cash before he's even provided the services? I tell him this, and he offers to give me a free session if I help him out. Anyhow, I very politely turn him down, explaining I'm on maternity leave with no job right now (which he knew!), and that I simply couldn't help him out. Sorry.

So the guy doesn't say a word, and hangs up the phone sounding all ticked off with me. Can you believe this?

He is an awesome trainer. He knows his stuff. That's why I contacted him again. But his focus seems to be so money oriented, now that he's started training clients privately. His professionalism just isn't there anymore.

So, I fired him. It sucked. I think he might have even cried a bit. But I really had no choice. I can't afford to keep paying someone who isn't committed to my success, but rather, sees dollar signs in his eyes all the time.

Therefore, I'm on my own again. But I'm okay with it. I'm going to keep my eyes open for another trainer, and in the meantime, I'll just keep working out on my own.

And yeah, it feels like I'm starting over a bit. And it might seem like I keep doing this...but everytime I do, I'm a little further ahead than the last time. So it's okay - as long as there's a will, there's definitey a way.:-)

13 comments:

Jen said...

What a horrible experience with your trainer -- it sounds like he was maybe facing some problems, but he should NOT have put you in that position! I think you did the right thing... I hope you find a great trainer soon! I wish I could refer you to mine, but that would be quite a drive ;-)

And you're most definitely not starting over! Maybe this is just the beginning of a new chapter...

Christy said...

That's horrible! Too bad you can't report to the better business bureau. I don't blame you in the least! I agree, you are not starting over, you just took a little break. We all do. This weekend was a 3 day break for me and it's almost harder each time to start again, but we just have to want it that bad. I went through a slight depression episode the last couple days and figured that eatinga nything I wanted was going to make me get better. HA! So now I just ate a Cadbury's thin for breakfast, but logged on to my ww blogs to get some inspiration and I found some here.

Sending you lots of happy happy thoughts

Carolyn said...

Wow That would turn me off too! I can't believe he asked you for 2 months payments! That is insane and SO unprofessional. You certainly did the right thing!
Hopefully things are back on track and you feel good about your choices. Remember that each day is a new day full of new opportunities. Just take it one meal at a time (easier said than done, I know) but try to make the best choice you can every time you put something in your mouth.

Good luck!

Cowgirl Warrior said...

He's totally unprofessional, I would have fired him too.

You're not starting over, just continuing the journey. A setback is not derailment, only an opportunity to re-evaluate and re-new and move on.

I just stocked up on some stuff at Body Shop, edt, lightening touch. I do buy as much there anymore. They're pretty pricy now.

Unknown said...

yea, that completely sucks but i think you did the right thing, for the right reason... i'm sure you learned enough that you can do this on your own and when its time to change things up (usually ever 2 months), you can find a TON of stuff online for FREE... that's what i did for my new weight routine - you'll be fine! :o)

noelle said...

that must have been really hard for you...but he sounds like a total weenie! LOL

keep up the good work and know that it's only up to you, mama, to do this for yourself!

Askazombiehousewife said...

I am so sorry it didn't work out with your trainer.
I hope you find a new one.

Anandi said...

Yikes, you did the right thing to fire your trainer. Best of luck finding a new one - do you belong to a gym?

I never got your email. Try again? anandiraman at gmail dot com.

I did some starting over myself 2 weeks ago, so we can chat about that via email :)

BeepBeep said...

Wow that's cool! I hope that's not inappropriate to say - I've just arrived at your blog. But I love that you sent the message that boundaries had been crossed and they weren't being restored. It's the sort of action that spiritually melts off the lbs.

PearShapedGirl said...

Aw Sonya, I just read your post about feeling frustrated with the idea of trying to lose weight and take care of your baby. I feel bad for you, it must be SUCH a tough situation with all the emotions tied in there as well. A lot of us are in the same boat with emotional eating and that damn URGE to eat all the time, I wish we all knew a way we could turn it off. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better now, though. And good work on firing your trainer. You certainly did the right thing, it sounds like he had his best interest ahead of yours. Good luck with finding a great new trainer, I know they're out there!

Take care,
PSG

Kelly said...

ew what a jerk! that is SO unprofessional. he shouldnt make you feel guilty bc he doesn't know how to manage his money!!

take what you learned from him and keep on truckin!

pinknest said...

okay, i am absolutely HORRIFIED by your trainer. you totally did the right thing in firing him. he is so unprofessional i can't believe it! i've had two different trainers, both who are fantastic, and they'd be livid at hearing such stories. was this a trainer through your gym?

GetStrongGirl said...

Thats pretty crazy Sonya....He has some nerve. He should be embarrased...I dont blame you one bit. Stay strong!(Jackie)