Monday, October 15, 2007

Un-chicken Salad - guilt free!

Two things:

(1) I left my camera at my parents house this weekend, and I feel like I'm missing something all the time! I guess I'm really in the habit of taking pictures these days!
(2) I'm feeling much better (about 6/10 which is better than yesterday) - thanks for all of your good wishes.

Well, it's no secret that I'm a vegetarian / near-vegan. And I looooove reading vegan blogs, especially some of my favourites. These bloggers inspire me, make me feel healthy, and like an all around good person.:-)

With that, I leave you with a phenomenal recipe! It's from the book "Teany" (which incidentally, is also the name of the fabulous cafe in NYC formerly owned by Moby and currently still owned by his ex-girlfriend. Don't ask - I think it's complicated) - which is one of my favourite little books. It has anecdotes, lots of tea stuff and tips, and many delicious recipes.

Tonight, I made the "un-chicken" salad. I would have taken a picture, but oh well. It's perfect, because it's high in protein, low in fat, and will be fabulous on top of a bed of greens, roma tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

16 oz un-chicken broth, or vegetable broth
3 cups texturized vegetable protein (tvp) - this stuff is magic!
1 stalk celery, diced very small
1/4 medium onion, diced very small
1 dill pickle spear, diced small
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons vegan mayonaise
salt to taste
pepper to taste
2 teaspoons dried kelp flakes (not imperative, but it does make this fake chicken salad more convincing).

Note: I bought a lot of this stuff at a health-food store - it's not difficult to find. Yes, even the kelp flakes! And the tvp is just like a crumbled and dehydrated soy that has a remarkably meaty texture. It's low in fat, and super high in protein.

In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the broth to a boil, then add the tvp. Bring the temperature to medium, and allow to cook until nearly all of the liquid is absorbed. Put the tvp in a container and refrigerate until cold (if you're in a rush, spread the mixture in a shallow pan and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes).

Add all the other ingredients to the tvp, and mix well. Chicken salad is complete!

This salad is best when served on toasted whole grain bread that has been lightly spread with margerine. Greens and tomatoes work great with it too!

On an unrelated note - I'm feeling really positive today. Like, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - which is wonderful. Plus, I had a dream about something last night (me, working in NYC - not sure why!) - and I was thin! I have never imagined myself thin. Could never even picture it. And in my dream, I saw it. I think it's a good omen.:-)

3 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Askazombiehousewife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Askazombiehousewife said...

I read good reviews about teany but never gone

I heard but never tried that one can make un-tuna with mashed chick peas, food proceser and a nori sheet "Sea weed they wrap sushi in"
then one could add vegan mayo and or lemon juice