Monday, November 19, 2007

It's good to be back, it's good to be back....

Hello Blog!

How I have missed thee.

I'm back from my whirlwind trip to San Francisco. It was crazy-productive even though I worked 14-hour days. My hubby and daughter came along, and I got to spend time with them in the wee hours of the morning, and sometimes in the evenings. I missed them both a lot...but truthfully? It felt invigorating to be able to throw myself into my job without worrying that my daughter wasn't being looked after. I knew that her dad was wandering around the city, taking her to the aquarium, the MOMA, and buying her lots of cute clothes. They made quite the pair. My hubby said to me on the plane ride home, "Gee - I have no idea how you do this full time! It was exhausting". I tried not to grin like a Cheshire cat.

First observation. Everyone - and I mean EVERYONE in San Francisco was super fit. Oh my goodness! Their skin was ever so sun-kissed, bodies svelt, beautiful smiles - wow, those Californians are the picture of health. And why wouldn't they be, since the dwell among ocean and mountains? As I huffed and puffed my way up some very steep streets on route to work in the morning, I watched in admiration as the locals just briskly walked past me, as if it were nothing. I'm sure that my heart was beating as loudly as street-drums. Wow, did it ever remind me how out-of-shape I am!

Second observation. You seriously have to try to eat unhealthily in that city. I didn't see a single McDonald's in sight. I saw like, one, Quizno's. There was no plethora of pizza places like I'm used to. Which was all very cool.

Third observation (related to observation one). People in San Francisco are super dedicated to health. On Friday night, my boss and I were trekking home after a long day. I think it was 9pm at night. Two joggers passed by us (on a busy city street - yes, 9pm on a Friday night). We also passed a gym on the way back - it was PACKED. There wasn't a single machine free. Oh, how it made me feel slobbish.

So, how did I do? Well, I'd give myself a 6 out of 10. Which seriously ain't all that bad. I made it to the gym a few times, which I was pretty darn proud of. I also tried to make good choices. There were a few times where I was tired and grumpy, and I even ate from a taco truck one night (although, with great trepidation!). Nonetheless, there was definitely more of a deliberate effort on my part to try harder in comparison to past trips.

So, I'm back. And full of fire. I had a very tiring day, getting over jet lag and dealing with unpacking, laundry, and various other mundane chores. But tomorrow, I'm ready to lace my shoes up and hit the gym hard again.

I picked some classes at the gym that look interesting - I think I'm going to go back to yoga a couple of times a week. I've missed it, and my back has been aching a lot lately.

Finally? I have missed writing here regularly. I let my crazy schedule take over, and have forgotten how accountable blogging kept me. Plus, I love supporting my fellow bloggers, and reading your comments here. They go SUCH a long way. So, I'm going to be poking around here a little more often from here on in.:-)

9 comments:

Jen said...

Welcome back!!! I missed your posts. So, so, so glad you had such a great trip to San Francisco :-) I love the healthy energy of that city, too. It's contagious. Can't wait to read more posts as you put all this energy into action!

(And YAY for hubby recognizing how hard you work taking care of your daughter :-)

Chris H said...

Glad you had a fabulous time in San Francisco... it sounds like a lovley city.

Unknown said...

welcome home, sounds like a good time... and it was great that your hubby and daughter were able to join you! makes working away from home that much nicer! :o)

happy thanksgiving!

Carolyn said...

Welsome back darlin!
Sounds like you had an absolutely great trip and now your back on the OP wagon. Good for you for gettin to the gym while you were away. That is a great accomplishment! Be proud!

Christy said...

Welcome home! That's exactly hwo I felt when I was in Vancouver, everyone was so gosh darn healthy. I would love to be like that :)

I love it that your hubby recognized what a tough job being a mom is! Sometimes I think Jeff just doesn't quite get it.

6 out of 10 is WAY better then I ever do on vacation, kudos my friend!!

Teresa said...

Sounds like a fun trip. Welcome back. Hope you are over the jetlag.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh man I loved the comment you husband made about the 'no idea how you do this full time'! I wouldn't have been able to hold back no cheshire cat grin :-D [<--- Chesire cat grin; see? Already I'm doing it!]

Glad to have you back, I missed you!

Askazombiehousewife said...

MISSED ya
San Francisco sounds very fit.

Kim said...

Helloooooooooooooooo!!! So glad to have you back!!