Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Once a gym rat....

Over the last few days, I've realized that I finally have to stop living in the past when it comes to this weight loss journey of mine. I catch myself thinking about much weight I had lost in the past, or how easy it was to get to the gym, and how history will just repeat itself effortlessly now. In fact, I'm starting to realize that while one week of healthy eating and exercise might feel "routine", the next week could be an uphill battle. Life has changed, I've changed, and this journey is going to be different.

For example, for the last few weeks, I had scheduled myself to go to the gym in the evenings. It hadn't been happening for a variety of reasons - the majority of which were nonsense. Finally, I decided that I was going to give it my full effort this week, and even asked the hubby to shove me out the door if I started making excuses. Well, I'd get home the last couple of days from an exhausting day at work, hang out with my daughter, put her to bed, and would have zero energy left within me to go to the gym. Or so I thought.

But guess what? I did it. I've gone the last two nights. But let me tell you - I've been kicking and screaming the whole way. Once I get there, it's a different story. There's a different energy altogether - I work very hard, and on the walk home, I feel amazing.

I guess I just assumed I could "fall back" into old patterns, and morph into the gym rat that I once was. I know she's in me - but it's going to take some time to get into the swing of things again. I've had a long year of inactivity (with sporadic spurts within), and that's a long time to fall out of habit.

I'm really proud of the effort I've made over the last couple of days. But let me tell you - it has been effort indeed. I've been making a conscious effort to eat well, to exercise, to drink my water. The last two days have felt like two weeks. Eventually, it will start to feel routine - but for now, I need to go forward, full speed ahead.

Three more days to losing my pound for this week. Keeping my eye on the prize helps.;-)

6 comments:

Kim said...

Wow. You have really captured so much of what I've been feeling lately. The effort of it all seems to be so much some days, and then others, it comes much easier. I never know what I'm going to run up against when I finally back myself into the corner to workout.

I think that you are doing an amazing job. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

pinknest said...

bravo!!! i like your new energy!

Teresa said...

It's really difficult at this time of year, to head out the door on a cold and snowy night. Good for you in making the effort. All the best for you weigh in.

Carolyn said...

SO glad to hear you made to to the gym. why does it have to be so easy to come up with excuses not to go? I'm so proud of you thogh that you went, despite the excuses, despite the long hard day at work, despite leaving your sleepy daughter at home. You did it and you should feel so great!

Askazombiehousewife said...

I need to weight train.

coach handbags said...

Why would you hire a coach? You don't play competitive sports or run marathons. What could a coach factory outlet do for you?Just as amateur and professional athletes who want to further their game work with a coach, business owners, managers and entrepreneurs can also further their game, or business and life, by working with of a professional coach outlet online. You can be good, very good at what you do, but there is always better. And to get to better, you need to make changes.Change doesn't just happen on its own. Change occurs when you take charge and actively work to make these changes. The three key ingredients to coach outlet change are vision, plan, and the motivation to make it happen.Some people go through work and life just existing. They're not unhappy, but they're not really happy either. They aren't very clear about what success, or a great life looks like, much less how to actually achieve coach factorybags. They lack clear vision, the ability to conceptualize a goal or ambition. And without a vision, a dream, a goal, a target, coach outlet store onlinebags they aren't going anywhere.