Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Recipe for Lemony Lentil Vegetable Stew

I meant to post this the other day. Sorry - forgot to take photos.

Veggies I used:

- Small head of cauliflower (broken into small-medium sized florets)
- One medium sized carrot (quartered, and then diced)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 small potato
- 1 medium chayote (I live near Chinatown, so it was easy to pick this up - delicious veggie!) - peeled and chopped into small pieces.

Lentils:

- 1/2 cup of moong lentils

Other stuff:

- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 heaping tsp of sambar powder (available at any indian grocery store).
- 1 tsp of chana dhal (optional)
- 1 TB of diced ginger
- 1 small green chili, chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp of salt

First, I dry roasted the lentils by putting them on a warm pan for a few minutes, and kept stirring constantly. You'll know they're done when they get slightly darker, and emit a slightly smokey smell. You wash them afterward.

Then, I put 1/2 the veggies into a pot (that fits into my pressure cooker), put the lentils in, and then layered the rest of the veggies on top. I added enough water to fill out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot. I added the turmeric, sambar powder, and salt.

I pressure cooked (after the steam comes out of the cooker) for about five minutes. Opened the cooker after 20 minutes. then, I sauteed the ginger, mustard seeds, green chili, and chana dhal in a bit of margerine (1 tsp), and added to the stew. I squeezed the lemon juice in at the end, and topped off with some freshly chopped corriander.

Super healthy, and very low fat. You can have this with steamed rice.

7 comments:

Healthy Mummy said...

Thanks so much for posting this Sonya. I going to try it out over the weekend.

ALLA (green girl) said...

that sounds really good, I will have to try it!
why do you roast the lentils? I've never heard of that, just curious... :)

Sonya said...

Green Girl - you roast the lentils because it creates a certain "flavour" when they're steamed.

Veg*Triathlete said...

Mmm! This sounds delicious - I'm excited to try roasting the lentils, which I've never done. I've recently started toasting my quinoa, too, which has a similar effect, I imagine.

>>yvonne said...

Hey Sonya,
Do you eat diary products?
Im looking for bloggers to try out a new health food product. Check out www.matchstick.ca
or contact me at 416.530.8000 x 218
yvonne@matchstick.ca

Thanks!

Veg*Triathlete said...

Hey Sonya, I hope you're doing well :-)

coach handbags said...

Although claimed to be a brown coach outlet store online bag, it is not the kind of pure brown, instead, it is playful brown multicolor. It is a patchwork of signature jacquard fabric, soft port leatherScience Articles, and lightweight metallic leather. This crinkle patent leather coach factory shop bag highlights embossed leather and suede with leather or metallic leather trim as well as soft fabric lining. The coach purses bag has two inside zip pockets for holding your cell phone or for multifunction. It has a ring to clip an accessory or keys. The bag is to be carried via double adjustable handles. coach handbags As one of the international luxury goods company, Chanel represents one of the most exclusive, elitist and most expensive labels in the designer coach outlet handbags category. Chanel has celebrity supporters who use its exclusive coach outlet store handbags. We often hear the news that the Hollywood super star …carried the Chanel bag. Its coach factory handbags are popular around Hollywood and famous celebrities like Denise Richards and Tori Spelling who are often shot with a Chanel bag.