Sunday, August 30, 2009

Day 27: Reality Check

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy. I don't have any more to say about it, other than this little snippet I found on the internet, which unfortunately, is 100% true:

"Approximately forty percent of patients with gestational diabetes will develop adult-onset diabetes later in life."

Forty percent. That's practically 1 in 2.

My blood runs cold just thinking about the possibility. And then I feel lucky. I have a chance to actually prevent this from happening to me. I'm not dealing with a diagnosis right now.

What a reality check. Next time I feel like reaching for chocolate, I need to remember this. I can't imagine living with diabetes, and not being able to do all the things with my children that they need me for. It's devastating just thinking about it. So here's being thankful that i have a chance to fix this.

p.s I went for a 5K walk yesterday, despite still feeling cruddy from my cold. Eating was good too. I'm still feeling icky today, but am going to push through it as much as I can.

No comments: