Friday, October 09, 2009

Wearing it on the outside

I'm a really private person. I don't share a lot of details about my personal life, save for a few close friends and family.

When I rode the subway today, I started thinking about people and their lives. How the person sitting across from me could be a recovering alcoholic, and I wouldn't know it. Or the lady sitting next to me might have lost someone close to her recently. Or how anyone on that train could be suffering from a terminal illness. You just have no idea what is going on in people's lives.

And then I started to think about my fat. And what it says about me. These are some of the thoughts that came to mind:

  • I can't control what I eat;
  • I don't care about myself;
  • I don't want to be healthy;
  • My appearance doesn't matter
And I'm wearing all of that on the outside. So much for being such a private person! Those are the impressions that someone might have when they look at me. The irony of it just kind of struck me today.

Those are some pretty stark impressions, and I'm not proud of any of them! Yet another reason to propel myself towards a more healthy life. I don't care about what other people necessarily think about me, except for the fact that some of those impressions are true. Must change that.

*

In other news, I finally purchased a pack of Glo-bars from Angela. There's a lot of hype about them right now, because she just started shipping to the US!

Conclusion: They are DELICIOUS! Very homemade tasting, not too sweet, and surprisingly filling. The ingredients are all organic and very wholesome. It's obvious they're made with lots of TLC. They just arrived yesterday evening, and I've already eaten two!

The only downside is that it cost almost $37 for 10 bars, which is a bit painful on my wallet. Spending almost $4 for an energy bar isn't something that I could personally afford to do on a regular basis. But they're a lovely treat.

Having said that, they are great bars and I hope she has much success with them.

Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Sonya @ Eyes on the Hourglass said...

I'm really trying not to mind read anymore. I've done it for far too long. I still have those moments though where I'm in the car eating something and think to myself that the person in the car next to me is looking and thinking 'oh yeah, and she really needs to be eating that!'...it's a horrible feeling. I hate it.

I do understand what you mean though. My appearance does say something and that is why I'm trying to 'give a sh*t" again...I've let myself go for far too long. It's time to care!

janet said...

Sometimes when shopping and someone is really rude, I want to give a snarky reply. What stops me is realizing that I don't know what's going on in that person's life, maybe they just lost someone, or lost their job, or were diagnosed with some disease. It helps me bite my tongue.

Sheridan said...

I sooo do that subway thing too. Well in my case bus thing. Except my thoughts are a little "darker". Let's say I watch too many crime shows so I'm always wondering if someone got hurt, or if someone is a rapist/killer, or has even come close to an act as such. I know, creepy! Can't help it tho, just wired to think that way I guess. And sometimes I find myself trying not to think in case someone can guess what I'm thinking. Yeah, my head's totally messed up! LOL