Thursday, March 15, 2007

Soaking it all in...

The weather has been gorgeous here this week! The sunshine and warmth is really good for the soul, you know? Since the baby and I have been trapped indoors for the last several weeks, it's been amazing for us to finally get outside.

The meal plan is going relatively well. Some unexpected things happened - like we had some surprise visitors yesterday afternoon, and the baby has come down with ANOTHER cold (her 3rd or 4th one this winter!) which threw things for a bit of a loop. But for the most part, I've been trying hard to stick to it. If I didn't have it, I probably would have sabotaged the rest of the week and resolved to "start fresh" next week. I'm really glad I have it!

Exercise has been decent too. I haven't done any of the C25K sessions yet this week, because the baby and I have been going on these wonderful, long walks outside. And let me tell you, it is some hard work pushing a stroller around, let alone all of the extra weight that I'm carrying! I wonder how many extra calories that burns, lol! Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to go all clammy-cold again, so I'll resume my C25K tonight on the old dreadmill.

Since I've been on maternity leave, I've been watching some pretty bad television. What can I say? Sometimes, I just need to pass the time while I'm feeding the baby. Anyway, I was watching Rachael Ray a few weeks ago, and she made this delicious Winter Vegetable Stew. It's chalk-full of vegetables and protein, and is very hearty. I attempted the recipe shortly thereafter, and it was soooo yummy. That's what I'm making for dinner tonight, except this time, I'm going to serve it up on brown rice. I also found this delicious recipe for banana bread on this vegan blog. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks delicious! It's been modified so that it's low fat, and there's also whole-wheat flour in it to add some fibre. I'm making it for my hubby, and will only have a small piece this weekend. The bananas are ripening as I type!

And finally, I snuck a quick peak at the scale this morning, and I'm down a pound. I'd like to make that two by Monday, but I don't want to get all over-ambitious on myself. If I can maintain that loss over the weekend, I'll be very happy!

***
One afternoon this week, after a long walk with the baby in the sunshine, I stopped at Starbucks for a sugar-free, non-fat, Hazelnut latte (!). As I was leaving, I noticed there was an empty spot on the patio. I looked down nervously at the baby - would she start freaking out if I stopped pushing her around? Shouldn't I really get home? But I decided, to heck with it, and grabbed the spot.

The sun felt amazing on my face, and I felt really warm and good. I looked onto the busy street, at all of the people hustling and bustling by. I watched all the cars going by, with windows rolled down and loud music blaring. I stared down at my beautiful daughter, whose eyes were all squinty and face all scrunched up from the sun, yet she was still asleep. And I sat there for half an hour, soaking it all in. The big revelation for me, was that I never do that. I never take the time to appreciate my neighbourhood, and relax on a patio with a nice warm drink cradled in my hands. I'm always going somewhere, always walking with a purpose, always trying to get things done as quickly as possible. It was really great, and I vowed to myself that I'd do it more often.

When was the last time that you stopped to smell the roses?

15 comments:

Unknown said...

oh you MUST try the starbucks cinnamon dolce latte (you can get it sugar-free and w/out whipped cream) because its to die for... i'm so glad you're getting to go for walks and enjoying the weather, it must feel really great to be outside and w/your baby... :o)

Annieann77 said...

Even though I am not vegan I am awfully curious about the lifestyle and am considering giving it a try! The link you have with all the recipes is great, some of them look really good ! :)

Congrats on your un-official loss! ;)

Kelly said...

that banana bread sounds delish!!

i will be stopping & smelling the roses this weekend in georgia :)

Dee said...

It's so important to take time for yourself, especially with a new baby! Your post has reminded me I haven't been getting much "me" time lately. I think I'm going to schedule myself a quiet bubble bath...with the bathroom door locked!

And...Pirate's Booty rocks my world!

Askazombiehousewife said...

Have fun with your me time :-)
I need to go for a walk but I don't wabt to.
Strollers are great for adding a little resistince to your walk

Christy said...

I'm so glad you sat there and soaked it all up - I'm planning on doing that soon! In the burbs there's nowhere like that, but I'll be hitting up a coffee patio soon and just sit down and chill with Carson.

A plan is awesome! I don't know how many times I've said - I screwed this week, I gotta start next week... so good on you! I'm hoping for a 2 pounder loss on Monday for ya.

Cowgirl Warrior said...

Ain't that the truth, we're always rushing and never seem to stop for air. Thank you so much for that reminder. You're doing great, keep up the good work.

Chris H said...

I do people watch all the time, I just go into a coffee shop, get a drink and gawk at people... it's very interesting and entertaining. I find that much more interesting than watching cars go by anyway! Do it more, it's good for you. Have a wonderful day.

jeannie* said...

What a refreshing post! I'm glad you got to spend some time outside with the little one!

I'm going to try to stop and soak it all in sometime today. Thanks for the reminder to do that!

PearShapedGirl said...

Sorry to hear that your little one has another cold. That's got to be hard on both of you. That's great that you were able to take the time to relax with your latte and enjoy the weather. Everyone sure needs that once in a while.

Take care,
PSG

p.s. You made me laugh when you called the treadmill the dreadmill...

Anandi said...

Yay for you and taking time to just sit and relax. I have been consciously trying to find more quiet time in my life. I find that I distract myself with projects and other plans, and thus never get really in touch with what I want or how I really feel. But quiet hanging out time really lets me focus on what's going on.

KleoPatra said...

I smell the roses all the time. So very happy you are able to do so as well. Love the sun for you. It is good for the soul and the spirit. I'm thrilled you get to go out and enjoy the day, Sonya! Way to go. Keep up the great work, girlfriend!!

Weight Master said...

Congrats on the pound. You know, I have no idea what the C25k workout is.

urban vegan said...

Your last paragraph made me a little teary eyed. Beautiful.

Living to Feel Good said...

:D That last part was so beautiful. I could feel the sun on my face! :)