Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Here it is. Day One.

If I'm going to give this weight loss effort an honest try, I have to be true about the number on the scale too. Right? Right.

I'm ashamed of it. Which is a good thing. But it's also downright embarrassing.

240lbs.

There it is. A making of my own actions over the last few years.

Over the weekend, I was thinking about how there's so much more to life than being overweight. Why is it so difficult to resist something as simple as chocolate? Why is it so hard to remember how good it feels to exercise?

Well, I'm done living in my body in its current state. Here's looking at 40lbs less of me by the end of this year. One foot ahead of the other, here I come!

Following three simple rules for the next little while:

  • Eliminating whites (sugar, white flour, potatoes, etc.)
  • Not counting the calories in fruits and veggies (I realize that it's still not healthy to eat four pieces of fruit in a day, but it sure as heck is better than chocolate and chips!)
  • Being really active for at least 30 minutes each day.
I know that there is more that I should be doing around reducing my carbs drastically, drinking more water, strength training, etc. But that will come in time. I think my three simple rules is a good place to start, and I'll incorporate the rest in due course, seeing as I have a long way to go.

2 comments:

Christy said...

We are SO on the same wavelength (but hey, I've realized we are ALWAYS on the same wavelength which is why i love you so). Today is the day for me. I know we've talked about this so much, but it's amazing the lengths we will go to to keep our kids healthy - but we consistently put oursevles on the backburner? No more! Our health is SO important and we have many of the same reasons for wanting to be healthy. Let's keep ourselves in check OK? Now that you posted your weight, tomorrow morning I will weigh in and post my weight no matter how bad. And I'm digging your goal of 40 lbs - I'd like the same to be gone by the end of this year. We are in this TOGETHER!!!

Kim said...

Hey Sonya!! Getting started can be so difficult. And why is it that even when we KNOW what we are supposed to do, it is still so damn hard?!?!?

I have been having too many Day Ones lately. I'm so unhappy, and just watching the number on the scale creep up is making it worse. So here is to our new Day One, and for making it stick!!! :)